Plymouth Labour will try to reverse some of the deep cuts to bus services proposed by the Conservative administration when the council meets to discuss the budget on Monday.
Plymouth Labour will be bringing a budget amendment which could see £115,000 added to the budget to support reconfiguration of commercial bus routes in the city.
There have been recent losses of whole bus routes in the city while some services have seen shortening of operating times, others have seen reductions in frequency.
Labour’s proposal would provide support for residents currently without access to a bus service.
“Plymouth Labour are committed to improving public transport to ensure that the sustainable transport agenda is a high priority,” said Cllr Mark Coker, who is Plymouth Labour’s Transport spokesperson.
“It will also help advance our climate emergency plans.”
Councillor Charlotte Holloway, who is a Drake ward councillor, has been campaigning with Drake ward local election candidate Paul McNamara, to get the 31 bus route reinstated.
The decision to cut the route – which served parts of Mutley, Peverell, Pennycross and Beacon Park – took effect in December and relied on a subsidy from Plymouth City Council.
Welcoming the amendment Cllr Holloway said it would be a “big win” for helping residents.
“This is particularly true for the elderly and vulnerable, who feel completely cut off as the result of recent Conservative bus cuts,” she said.
“I’ll be battling hard for people on the axed 31 route from Mutley through to Pennycross and Beacon Park to get services back through this new funding if the amendment passes, and thank you to my Labour colleagues for listening and acting whilst the Conservatives sat on their hands.
“I wrote to the Conservative council leader last week in a last ditch attempt to ask him to fund the route to no avail, this amendment makes it a possibility.”